Friday, February 4, 2011

Social Presence

When thinking of creating a social presence for online learning a thought that came to mind was that students might not need to be schooled in this as much as teachers.  Reading this article I realized that students have grown up in this world of online social networks.  They welcome people in by accepting their friendship, or joining a group.  As we move to online classrooms, and Web 2.0 tools to help further learning as teachers/facilitators we need to make sure everyone is welcome and that all participants are feel important to the discussions. I have used a educational social networking site called edmodo.com to hold discussions, and allow my students to electronically turn in their homework.  This website gives me new things to think about in how I introduce my students to this site, and making sure a good social presence is established. 

http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/winter124/joyce124.html

No comments:

Post a Comment