Monday, May 16, 2011

Will we be burying QR codes soon, or just using them to bury a loved one?

I recently presented at a small technology conference about the usefulness of QR codes in an educational setting. I would like to think that I sparked people's interest with something we are starting to see in our magazines. The night before I was second guessing if people would even get what the presentation was about, and then I got home and in my mail I saw a Bath and Body Works add with a QR code in the bottom corner. Well that just made me want to show everyone that this might actually be here to stay.

I am almost convinced that QR codes are not just a fade that we will be dismissing in education, before people really knew what they were. In the United States we are just now starting to see these bar codes, when they have been around in places like Japan for about ten years. That alone should reassure people that we will be seeing these for quite sometime. Japan has had phones to read these for much longer, and this country starts to continues to be infatuated with smartphones, more and more people will use a QR codes to get information instantly.

qrcode
This just blew me away when I read it, but I can see it catching on. If you have ever lost a loved one, how many times have you watched old videos of them? Or listened to a voice message they left?

How could this enhance a students trip to a museum. IT would give us the ability to see video and hear more about things while learning about it. This could easily turn an ordinary text book into a semi-interactive text book. If a code was just placed on the proper, page or picture what other information could a student learn about a subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment